Pioneer P-28 woes

Local time
4:27 AM
Reaction score
I have an old Pioneer saw that runs great but needs a new bar ( slightly bent ). I have tried a replacement Jonsered unit as well as one from Oregon ( confirmed fit through their tech support ) but neither fits properly. The issue is that once the bar / chain is installed and the clutch cover bolts are tightened the chain binds and will not move along the bar . All surfaces are clean and free from damage. The issue is not present with the OE bar / chain . I spoke to the Jonsered dealer and they suggest grinding away some of the metal on the housing where the saw meets the bar . I am not comfortable doing this . Seems to me that if the OE bar fit properly why should I modify the saw to get a replacement to fit. Any thoughts ?

Regards 331

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
Reaction score
Only P series saw I ever owned was a P42 I got very cheap, dressed up a bit and sold for a handsome profit.
Not too familiar with the smaller P28, but it should use the small Husqvarna mount K095 bar mount and .325 gauge chain.
You have the original still, compare the two by laying the bar tails together- anything different?
Compare the old and new chains- again- anything different?
Were you supplied 3/8 chain when your saw is set up for .325? Or is your saw set up for 3/8 and you got sold .325 gear?
Is the bar tail sitting flat on the bar pad? Is the adjuster spigot fitting properly into the bars adjuster hole?

At the end of the day- bent bars can be straightened. Which might be worth looking in to- if the rest of the bar is not well worn.