Oregon chains on stihl

Zipfunk

Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys
First time on the forum. Glad it’s here.
I had an 18” Echo cs-440 with an Oregon bar (and Oregon chains) but it seized after 15 years. I’m shocked it lasted that long.
I replaced it with an 18” Stihl ms261.
I’m wondering if I can use the old chains on the new saw. The number on the Oregon chains is 23. The number on my full chisel Stihl chains is 3 but the part number on the box starts with a 23-xxxxxxxx etc
I just want to use the old chains for dirty work like trees with dirt or the chance of a fence staple and keep the full chisel for the good work.
I don’t want to wreck the sprocket so I figured I’d ask before I did anything.
Thanks in advance.
Drew

Zipfunk

Local time
Reaction score
Holding the two chains togetherI notice the oregon (older chain used on Echo) chain is a little longer than the new Stihl chain.
The guide teeth look the same

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Your Stihl chain stamped with a 3 = 0.050 gauge (5= 0.058 and 6= 0.063)
The Stihl Box marked 23= .325 pitch most probably RM

The Oregon chain to be the same. 0.050 by .325 should be marked 20 or 95 on the drive links- not 23 (unless the numbers have changed over the last 15 years).
Both saws as standard issue should be running .325 chain- gauge is matched to your bar - drive link could must also match the bar- so mark one drive link with a sharpie pen and count how many there are on the old chains versus the new- then check that number on the etchings on the chain bar- there should be a drawing of a drive link as if it had been removed from the chain and a number beside it- for an 18 inch chain on a Stihl bar it should be 74. 18".325 chain on an Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, Shindaiwa etc should be 72 drive links so in theory should be shorter than the Stihl chains unless well worn.

Zipfunk

Local time
Reaction score
Your Stihl chain stamped with a 3 = 0.050 gauge (5= 0.058 and 6= 0.063)
The Stihl Box marked 23= .325 pitch most probably RM

The Oregon chain to be the same. 0.050 by .325 should be marked 20 or 95 on the drive links- not 23 (unless the numbers have changed over the last 15 years).
Both saws as standard issue should be running .325 chain- gauge is matched to your bar - drive link could must also match the bar- so mark one drive link with a sharpie pen and count how many there are on the old chains versus the new- then check that number on the etchings on the chain bar- there should be a drawing of a drive link as if it had been removed from the chain and a number beside it- for an 18 inch chain on a Stihl bar it should be 74. 18".325 chain on an Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, Shindaiwa etc should be 72 drive links so in theory should be shorter than the Stihl chains unless well worn.
Hi Bob.
The chain looks to have HUSQ (assuming Husqvarna) and definitely has a 23 on the guide teeth.
74 links on the Stihl and 72 on the Husqvarna is correct and yes the Stihl is slightly longer.

So with all this info am I to assume I cant use the old chains on the new saw?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
Hi Bob.
The chain looks to have HUSQ (assuming Husqvarna) and definitely has a 23 on the guide teeth.
74 links on the Stihl and 72 on the Husqvarna is correct and yes the Stihl is slightly longer.

So with all this info am I to assume I cant use the old chains on the new saw?

Ah, now we are getting somewhere- your Oregon chains are Husqvarna marked- yes that will help explain the 23.
As long as both old and new are the same gauge your bar calls for (assuming 0.050 ) and the old chains are sufficiently worn in the rivet holes to have become somewhat longer than new and the drive links are not all rounded over, burred or damaged and once fitted there is adjustment available within the tensioner system to allow the bar to sit correctly on the bar studs- then yes they could be used/
Or you could take them to a saw shop and have one or two extra cutters fitted to make them 73 or 74 DL chains that might suit the Stihl bar better- or you could file out the slot on the Echo bar to fit the Stihl saw.......