Oil Leaking From Chain Plate?

DistortedLite

Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Hey I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for fixing a leaky chain plate. I have a Stihl 044 that seems to be leaking oil from the chain plate. I've taken it off and cleaned all the surfaces so they should mate together and seal when the bar is put back on but for some reason its not sealing.

The plate doesn't look bent at all and there aren't any noticeable scratches or gouges in it. Tried it with a brand new bar and still leaks. When I pull the clutch cover off after running it for a couple minutes it seems to be coming out at the top near the oiler port and some is getting on the outside of the clutch. I'll attach a picture if where the oil looks like its coming out.

Any suggestions what could be causing this?

Attachments

• 20230325_104917.jpg
    20230325_104917.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2

Stump Shot

Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Usually when the oil comes from behind the bar plate either the bar plate is out of shape or the bar pad itself is warped or both. the plate can be replaced, the bar pad can be checked with a straight edge and trued with either a large flat file or sandpaper on something good and flat like a piece of glass. I use a large glass cover lens from a welding hood. The bar studs and tightener will need to be removed to accomplish this. Upon reassembly the bar oil will only come out where it is supposed to again.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:51 PM
Reaction score
Yep, what Stumpy said.
Take the screw out from between the studs and remove the plate.
Look at the surface area of the boss the bar mounts up to, take some photos.
It can be that the saw has sustained some damage due to chain derailment, or debris catches from the chain dragging something through the drive area, mangles the plate- chips the boss and owner replaces the plate only- if the bearing surface is not flat or complete under the new plate- leaks can form.