No start

Tankie

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I borrowed a Stihl 44 magnum, been running it off and on for about three weeks now. I used it four or five days ago and shut it off upon finishing for the day. Now today I can’t get it to start. It keeps flooding. I checked for spark with a spark tester between the plug wire and the plug and it is showing spark. Swapped plug with a pretty new plug, still no start, pulled that plug and it was very wet. Put the original plug in another saw and that saw ran fine. Why is this saw not starting all of a sudden?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Well, not sure about anyone else here- but seeing as how the saw had been borrowed, it isnt really yours to try and fix.
You need to take it back to the owner, explain what has happened and when they cool off a bit, let them decide who is going to fix it.

Tankie

Local time
Reaction score
So true Bob. It was actually borrowed from my boss, a really nice guy but I feel like I would like to return it in the same or better condition than when I got it.
I am just hoping it is something simple that I could fix myself. I’m pretty mechanically inclined to fix things but the problem here has me a bit baffled.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
So true Bob. It was actually borrowed from my boss, a really nice guy but I feel like I would like to return it in the same or better condition than when I got it.
I am just hoping it is something simple that I could fix myself. I’m pretty mechanically inclined to fix things but the problem here has me a bit baffled.

Sorry, not in my list of ethics.
It could be a lot of things- from simple to serious.
I work on the theory of- you borrow, you break, you bought it.
Take the saw to your boss, explain the predicament and offer to take it to the servicing centre of his choice and pay for the repairs.

Tankie

Local time
Reaction score
Sorry, not in my list of ethics.
It could be a lot of things- from simple to serious.
I work on the theory of- you borrow, you break, you bought it.
Take the saw to your boss, explain the predicament and offer to take it to the servicing centre of his choice and pay for the repairs.
Thanks for the advice. He is a very understanding guy so I know there won’t be any problems. He also knows that I take care things whether mine or his. I’ve been working for this man around 35 years.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. He is a very understanding guy so I know there won’t be any problems. He also knows that I take care things whether mine or his. I’ve been working for this man around 35 years.

Then there should be no problems going to him and owning the fact the saw broke down while in your possession.

Tankie

Local time
Reaction score
Update: I didn’t mess with the saw yesterday but today I came home pulled the air filter and spark plug and then blew compressed air into the cylinder and through the carb while holding the throttle open. Put plug back in and pulled the starter rope without the choke on and it tried to start and run then I picked the saw up, squeezed the throttle and did a drop start and it ran. Pretty good bit of smoke at first then cleared up and ran fine. Killed it and restarted it no problem.