No adequate spark

Joe fitzpatrick

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
I have an older Echo CS 3000 type 1E that won’t start.It has a weak to non existent spark.I have changed the plug twice and have gone through 3 replacement coils,still nothing.Echo indicates two different part # — 15662639130 and 15662639431. Anyone know why? The three that I used seem not to be sparking with sufficient strength; barely perceptible. Will not kick over at all even with starting fluid.Any feedback is appropriated.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Were the replacement coils known to be good coils?
Were they genuine Echo or aftermarket?
How are the magnets in the flywheel?
What have you used to set the coil to flywheel air gap?

I have to admit to not being familiar at all with Echo's either current or past- have had some EViL experiences with Echo, but not much of it and the above is where I would start checking.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
The coils were aftermarket, but 3 bad ones seems a little unlikely! The magnets in the flywheel will attract a screw driver.How would I tell whether they’re too weak or not? I did take it to a repair shop and they told me what I already knew.No spark! They seemed to think coil but that was all I got from them. I’m hesitant to order an Echo coil ($70-80) without knowing that is the issue.

Three bad ones perhaps are unlikely- however three mismatched to your flywheel- entirely possible.
Original equipment from the saw manufacturer is always going to be better.
Will the screwdriver "snap" on to the magnets and you can then lift the flywheel with the screwdriver- or do they just weak attract the driver?

Have you tried for spark with the kill switch wire disconnected? Checked the wiring for continuity? Checked all wiring by feel and visual inspection for broken insulation and or possible breaks or earthing? Checked the HT wire is making good contact with the end coil that fits the plug and that coil of wire is contacting the plug correctly?

Hit reply bottom left of this post- somehow or another your last reply was sent to my profile, not the thread you started here. ;)

Joe fitzpatrick

Local time
Reaction score
The coils were aftermarket, but 3 bad ones seems a little unlikely! The magnets in the flywheel will attract a screw driver.How would I tell whether they’re too weak or not? I did take it to a repair shop and they told me what I already knew.No spark! They seemed to think coil but that was all I got from them. I’m hesitant to order an Echo coil ($70-80) without knowing that is the issue.

Three bad ones perhaps are unlikely- however three mismatched to your flywheel- entirely possible.
Original equipment from the saw manufacturer is always going to be better.
Will the screwdriver "snap" on to the magnets and you can then lift the flywheel with the screwdriver- or do they just weak attract the driver?

Have you tried for spark with the kill switch wire disconnected? Checked the wiring for continuity? Checked all wiring by feel and visual inspection for broken insulation and or possible breaks or earthing? Checked the HT wire is making good contact with the end coil that fits the plug and that coil of wire is contacting the plug correctly?

Hit reply bottom left of this post- somehow or another your last reply was sent to my profile, not the thread you started here. ;)
I pulled the flywheel and performed the screw driver test again. The middle magnet was substantially stronger than the other two. I have checked all the wiring for continuity and found nothing. When referencing the correct coil Echo was not able to tell me the difference between the two coils they had listed. I cant imagine how the magnets in the flywheel would loose their magnetism short of some sort impact. I appreciate all your help!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
I pulled the flywheel and performed the screw driver test again. The middle magnet was substantially stronger than the other two. I have checked all the wiring for continuity and found nothing. When referencing the correct coil Echo was not able to tell me the difference between the two coils they had listed. I cant imagine how the magnets in the flywheel would loose their magnetism short of some sort impact. I appreciate all your help!
Rubbing the coil as it rotates at 12,00 RPM can do funny things to flywheel magnets.
Okay, so we can discount the flywheel perhaps- is the key and key still in good condition?
Sure the flywheel has not shorn off the key and moved position relevant to the coil?

I do not know the difference either- picking (if two are listed for the same saw) it will be an upgrade during the production period.
I do not know enough about Echos to help you there- maybe someone else reading does?

Joe fitzpatrick

Local time
Reaction score
Rubbing the coil as it rotates at 12,00 RPM can do funny things to flywheel magnets.
Okay, so we can discount the flywheel perhaps- is the key and key still in good condition?
Sure the flywheel has not shorn off the key and moved position relevant to the coil?

I do not know the difference either- picking (if two are listed for the same saw) it will be an upgrade during the production period.
I do not know enough about Echos to help you there- maybe someone else reading does?
Is the some timing adjustment other than the adjustment of the coil in and out to gap it? If there is I don’t know where it is. Getting close to giving up! Thanks

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Is the some timing adjustment other than the adjustment of the coil in and out to gap it? If there is I don’t know where it is. Getting close to giving up! Thanks

The ignition timing is regulated by the key and keyway.
Business card to set the air gap between coil and flywheel magnets should be near enough to good.