New Bearings, Crankshaft tight.

Solex

Local time
2:37 PM
Reaction score
Working on a Husqvarna 55, just installed new crankshaft bearings. My question is how tight should the crankshaft be? I can turn it with my fingers, but it seems tight to me. Must admit I did not measure any clearances, just installed the bearings and put the two halves of the case back together. Installed the bearings on the crank first, but perhaps should have installed them in the case, then inserted the crank?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
More than likely a wee bit of side loading on the bearings when the case halves were pulled up tight together.
Have a look down on top of the crankcase where the cylinder will mount- does the gap look even between the outsides of the cases and the lobes of the crank? Can you measure them with a feeler gauge?
Usually a couple of good whacks on the ends of the crank with a SOFT FACED hammer will cure the problem- you will be hitting the threaded sections of the crank- so DO NOT use a steel headed hammer!
If you can tell by looking or measuring which side needs to be hit, all the better- if not, try one side and see if rotation improves- if it doesnt, try hitting the other side and see what that does.