Need help finding a chain

Steve1

Local time
5:26 AM
Reaction score
I have an old O41AV. I have two bars for this saw. The numbers on the bar are #3003 000 9421 & 3003 000 6221 They both fit the O41AV
It has 72 drivers with a 3/8" pitch and a 0.058 gauge. It's the gauge that is making it hard to find
Thanks

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
According to most online references- the part numbers you quote for the bars- are both 0.063 gauge (if you mistyped 6221 and meant 5221?).
However, if you have Carlton A2 chain it is indeed 0.058 chain, so you are loose gauging from the get go.
As a rule- genuine Stihl bars come in 0.050 and 0.063 only- don't recall ever seeing a Stihl factory bar in 0.058.

I would be ordering 3/8 72DL in 0.063 to fit those bars and if by chance you do have some oddball never seen before Stihl bar variant- the groove is worn enough that 0.063 gauge chain will ride in between the worn rails.

Steve1

Local time
Reaction score
Bob,
So after posting this I did find and order this cahin https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZQW0UW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It should be a match to what I have been using.I checked back at 8 used chains (most of them used up) and they all were "A2'S". so this would take me back to in the late 70's early 8'0s when I purchased them. The bars are quite old, but I measured the grove with feeler gauges and came up with 0.068. So I think you are correct saying a 0.063 would work and that the bar orginally was a 0.063. I have no idea how these wrong chains that I bought ever happened unless it was purchased with an A2's! The saw always cut good as it cut wood for 3 households to heat with only wood for many years. The saw stihl works great! My question now is should I keep using the 0.058 or should I but a 0.063? Would the 0.063 work better, and if so how? What happens when using too narrow of a chain on a bar?
Thanks for your help
Steve

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
As I said- I do not think I have ever come across a Stihl mount bar that was not either 0.050 or 0.063 gauge- your bars measure worn 0.063 gauge and if you can still find/read the bar etching- probably say 0.063 or 1.6mm on then near the stud slots.
You can run your old chains if the drive links are still in good condition I guess- hasn't killed you yet has it?
My guess is some dubious dealer at some stage either had an excess of strange to Americans (very common here) 0.058 gauge chain he was passing off to the unsuspecting, or just didnt know any better.

Running thinner gauge chain can cause more debris to enter the groove and wear nose sprockets- bar groove, can twist and bond in the cut as the drive links are less supported, carry less oil in the bar groove- but you have gotten away with it thus far.

Several worn out chains, couple of worn out bars- I would be seriously looking at the clutch bell drive sprocket as well- if it is well worn it will not increase the life of chains nor bars.

Steve1

Local time
Reaction score
I think I will send back the chain I ordered and get the correct one. Will take a look at the drive sprocket and think about getting a new bar.
Thanks!

Steve1

Local time
Reaction score
So now I am looking to purchase a bar for the saw in the above post. Both bars I have, have 10 teeth and most is see to purchase have 11 teeth. Will either work for chains I have and or chains I want to buy?
I also ordered a clutch sprocket which has 7 teeth. I am looking for a 20'', 3/8'' pitch. 0.063 gauge,72 DL.
Thanks!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Link the bar you have ordered- it should either display, or be easy to find out the DL count for it.
But as a rule- 20 inch is the one of the very few common loop size for 3/8 chain in either Husqvarna and Stihl at 72DL with a 7 pin drive sprocket.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
STOP!!!!
That it TOTALLY the incorrect bar for your saw- it is 0.050 gauge and is the mount for a small Husqvarna saw (K095) not a mid sized Stihl D025 if Oregon of 3003 mount if a Stihl bar.

Steve1

Local time
Reaction score
Not sure what happened. When I copy and paste it shows a 0.063 gauge.
Try to search for this instead. Look for first Amazon from the top

Oregon 203RNDD025​

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure what happened. When I copy and paste it shows a 0.063 gauge.
Try to search for this instead. Look for first Amazon from the top

Oregon 203RNDD025​

well sorry- I looked and blew up the photo they use- it is of a K095 bar for 0.050 gauge chain and had a 68DL count.
Obviously the seller just used a generic photo and changes the description to suit each sale.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
The bar you supposedly ordered- the

Oregon 203RNDD025​

Takes a chain of 72 drive links- the tooth count of the nose sprocket makes no real difference- it is a combination of nose radius, bar length and bar width and drive sprocket size that dictate the DL count.
If the bar you ordered arrives as per the description and NOT as per the photograph- you will be golden.

Steve1

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was worried that the nose sprocket having 11 teeth and mine having 10 !