Mac 1-43 carb setting

STIHLKJV1611

Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
Hey I've just been given a Mac 1-43. It has a Tillotson carb and was just wondering about the carb settings. It is running pretty good just wanted some fine tuning. I have an old shop manual but don't see any carb setting in it. Thanks Joey

tacotodd

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
Just tune it by ear & don’t worry about any “factory” settings, because by ear is THE way to do it.

If you’re trying to get it started, 1 & 1/8 for both H & L. Good general places to start. Get it fired up & proceed from there.

And don’t worry, getting everything set well is a dance of sorts because changing 1 thing effects the other 2. Take your time and be SURE that unit is fully warmed up first 😯

Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
I agree about tuning by ear, hearing were the saw wants to be is the best way. Though, that does take experience and time and for someone new, it can be daunting. I made a video for my channel on the topic about tuning by ear. If you can buy yourself a cheap tachometer I think it is a worthy investment as it offers you confirmation on your numbers and also gives you a picture of what rpm’s sound like.