Kroil? Stihl 020 AVP Repair

Local time
1:48 AM
Reaction score
I recently scored this Stihl 020 AVP Professional for $35. Made in west Germany. Has compression but no spark. So I want to bake the ignition coil. I have to remove the recoil cover parts to access it. I only have 1 screw left to remove, but it is SO stuck. Still stuck after soaking with PBlaster for 12 hours. Should I buy a can of that Kroil stuff just for situations like these where it might actually be necessary?

Attachments

• IMG_5716.jpeg
    IMG_5716.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 1

itsmeagain

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Well, the manufacturer claims that it penetrants and quickly loosens rusted stuff. Can Kroil be better than WD40?

Local time
Reaction score
Well, the manufacturer claims that it penetrants and quickly loosens rusted stuff. Can Kroil be better than WD40?
I’ve never used Kroil before. WD40 is good, but pretty basic and PBlaster works way better than it IMO. I know that Kroil is said to be the best thing ever and that it it around $22 compared to $4-9 for WD40 or PBlaster… I was looking for the opinions of Kroil users.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
I am a KROIL believer- if you ever play with old neglected firearms- this stuff is THE go to- that and the correct fit screwdriver bit.
It has many uses around the chainsaw repair bench- will even "feed" faded dry plastics better than WD40.
Will it 100% work in this situation where a steel screw has been in a magnesium thread for a good long while? Maybe- maybe not.
Do you stand a better chance with this over another product? Highly likely.
Will the addition of heat on the fixing help transmit the penetrant to where it needs to be? Certainly.
Should I apply the penetrant, go drink 3 beers and then think about trying to remove the fastener? Yes.

KROIL = Angels Piss.

Local time
Reaction score
The screw finally came out after a week of PBlastering. Now I have the ones holding the handle on which are also tight as heck.

Attachments

• IMG_5786.jpeg
    IMG_5786.jpeg
    828.3 KB · Views: 0
Local time
Reaction score
I got that screw on the handle out with a manual impact screwdriver that I just bought. The manual impact screwdriver is one of the best purchases I’ve ever made! Everything is all loosely goosey, but won’t totally come apart…

Attachments

• IMG_5860.jpeg
    IMG_5860.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Local time
Reaction score
Now I think all that’s holding me back from splitting the case is the old hard dry fuel grommet where the tank meets the carb. It’s very stubborn.