Husqvarna 61 isolated case rot

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
By a stroke of good fortune, a fellow chainsaw fixer upper was driving through town about the same time I knock off work, he rang me and mentioned he had a box on the back of his truck I might be interested in.
Long story short- he had bought a grey top 61 online and only wanted the half wrap to complete a 272XP he was working on and I was welcome to the rest, free of charge.

I was picking, burned out twin coils, or burned up top end...... but no, thing starts and runs like a dream.
Just the bottom front and side of the PTO case is missing! To the point of no longer attached to the front AV and no chain catcher.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

You might also spot that at some stage a previous owner or mender kindly used pop rivets to hold the bottom of the wrap handle to the tank tail.

So, not having any spare cases- I reached out to yet another kind of local (same province/State) chainsaw guy and he had a spare set of twin coil 266 cases that he had no use for, bit rough but still complete.
So I picked that up on the weekend.

image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

Should be a simple enough plan to knock one down and swap the parts over to the "new" cases.
All I need to do is find a wrap handle, make a couple of case alignment/locator pins, get a gasket set, new oil seals and possibly bearings, then I should have another strong 61 and still have to keep my nose to the ground to find a scorched 61 suited to 272 top end conversion! :p

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
I'm sure someone with excellent welding skills could weld that case back the way it should be.

Yup- but there aint nobody in my workshop that possesses them there kinds of welding skills. :LOL:
Easier for me to do a case swap, but you can be sure that old busted up one won't be thrown away.
Least you did not suggest some JB Weld.