Husqvarna 262XP to 268 Conversion Possibility

Psychosmo

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently been tasked with finding a replacement cylinder for a 262XP and I have a 268 saw I might use as a parts saw but I haven’t started taking the 268 down yet since it’s a running saw itself. I’d rather leave it alone altogether if the swap is not possible, so can someone tell me if the 268 cylinder can bolt down to the 262 crankcase given I swapped the piston assy as well. Really want a reason to order a 72cc big bore for my 268W and get this guy with the 262xp out cutting for the season that’s just starting.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
11:34 PM
Reaction score
Basically- NO.

Wont work because the cylinder footprints are different- the 262 is the biggest you can go on that crankcase and it was born from the 154 origin.
The 268 is based on a different crankcase in the 162 origin.

And aftermarket big bore kits- forget them! If the top end is not good, go OEM 268XP or 272XP.

Fabz

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
The 262xp is a nice lil saw especially when built properly. Even if you could install a 268 cylinder on that bottom end most likely you wood be going backwards performance wise. However …. A 266/268 chassis upgraded to a 272xp top end , high flow filter , carb and exhaust work makes for a torque monster 72.2cc saw that will run All DAY LONG. No machined-high compression wondersaw here! Just a well thought out build with gobs of torque. Oem jug/slug is best but I’ve used meteor complete top ends and they work !

Last edited: