Husqvarna 181 issues

Wooly's World

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
guys and girls i have a very cool husky 181 British army issue chainsaw but man it is hard to start !! my saw guy suggested a decomp valve, what do you guys think? Cheers Wooly

Last edited:

Wooly's World

Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

it has got a little better since this video , i changed the spark plug to one with a shorter nipple ( i dont know what its called !! lol ) now i dont have to take out the sp to turn it over, but its very slow until it fires once then it goes fine
Does it still give you this much trouble when you start it cold?

Labfab

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Your cylinder doesn't have a boss cast into for drilling to add a decomp. You'd have to switch to a 288 cylinder then drill a hole in the top cover. Or if you were willing to sacrifice a little performance, you could shim the cylinder and increase the squish to lower the compression.

B

BayouCountryPowerSaws

Also another option, if you are comfortable with your own modification, you can cut a relief in the top of the exhaust to bleed some starting compression off, it wont have an affect on your performance (Or shouldnt anyway)

Labfab

Local time
2:28 PM
Reaction score
Also another option, if you are comfortable with your own modification, you can cut a relief in the top of the exhaust to bleed some starting compression off, it wont have an affect on your performance (Or shouldnt anyway)
Was going to mention that but held off on permanent modifications lol