Husky Rancher

DRM

Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a new member but I do like to work on small engines. I found this Husky Rancher 455 at an estate sale and I never realized how many different bars and chains for a saw. I know it has 72 links and a 20"blade. Can someone please help me be more specific? So I order the right parts.
Many Thanks
DRM 20240311_060640.jpg 20240311_060658.jpg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
For a start- saws do not have blades- they have bars. :ROFLMAO:

So it came without bar and chain?
First thing to check is the sprocket or spur that drives the chain off of the clutch- that will tell you if it is still set up for 3/8 chain or is someone has swapped it on to .325.
IF it is still 3/8 and you wish to retain factory fit- then yes you are correct, 20 inch bar and a chain of 72 drive links- BUT the mount for this saw is K095 or HSM- NOT D009 or HLM.

Driver, bar nose sprocket and chain pitch must all match up- chain and the gap between the rails (gauge) must match up, bar mount must match the studs and bar pad of the saw- so the oil delivery hole, adjuster hole lines up and the fit is not sloppy on the studs.

Decide your gauge choice on what is best available to you locally- usually 0.050 or 0.063- Worldwide Husqvarna standard is 0.058 gauge but that is not a common size in the US of A.

DRM

Local time
Reaction score
For a start- saws do not have blades- they have bars. :ROFLMAO:

So it came without bar and chain?
First thing to check is the sprocket or spur that drives the chain off of the clutch- that will tell you if it is still set up for 3/8 chain or is someone has swapped it on to .325.
IF it is still 3/8 and you wish to retain factory fit- then yes you are correct, 20 inch bar and a chain of 72 drive links- BUT the mount for this saw is K095 or HSM- NOT D009 or HLM.

Driver, bar nose sprocket and chain pitch must all match up- chain and the gap between the rails (gauge) must match up, bar mount must match the studs and bar pad of the saw- so the oil delivery hole, adjuster hole lines up and the fit is not sloppy on the studs.

Decide your gauge choice on what is best available to you locally- usually 0.050 or 0.063- Worldwide Husqvarna standard is 0.058 gauge but that is not a common size in the US of A.
Bob, sorry for the ligo slip:) Yes it came without bar and chain. I believe its still 3/8 pitch and 72DL. If I don't want to stay factory oem can you suggest a better quality bar and chain? I got the power head for 30$ and it started and ran like a scalded dog fist pull!
My last project was a Honda GX-390 that I got for free put a new cart tune up kit and a new 4400psi pump that I haven't had time to even test yet.
I am still working full time as an electrician for the Federal Government so I work these projects on the weekends.
Bob, I really appreciate your input
Many Thanks
DRM

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:22 AM
Reaction score
Husqvarna do not make bars- they have them made and branded for them- they used to be always Oregon bars, but they had Sugi Hara for a while and now the pro bars are Tsu Mura.
Buy whatever quality or brand you can afford- nothing wrong with the factory "Husqvarna" branded ones.

DRM

Local time
Reaction score
Husqvarna do not make bars- they have them made and branded for them- they used to be always Oregon bars, but they had Sugi Hara for a while and now the pro bars are Tsu Mura.
Buy whatever quality or brand you can afford- nothing wrong with the factory "Husqvarna" branded ones.
Thanks for your input Bob 👍