How far can a coil go?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Long story short: I recently took possession of a nice looking 2171 Jonsered that a good friend (and ex Jonsered service tech) bought online, where the previous owner had not disclosed fully some of the issues the saw had. So the friend either did not want it, or wanted a substantial refund. That was for them to argue and they came to an arrangement that suited them both.
New owner has two better 2171's already and asked if I wanted to sort this one out for what it had cost him. Was sold to him as a runner, was sold to me as a non runner.
We have since original purchase, discovered- the saw flew through the air on it's last cutting mission, compliments of a large willow tree felling that went wrong. Things got busted and twisted. Saw was gathered back up and put in a shed for a year. Previous owners son decided he was going to fix it up- tried and failed (but we believe found a "new" black plastic upper cylinder cover for it).

Story is getting long...... so, anyhow, I got it and starting pulling it apart and checking it over. Found both coil bolts almost fully backed out, coil basically sitting there by good luck- rather than good management. This thing had to have been running in this condition (original owner admitted kill switch did not work- had to choke to stall), kill switch was not operational because the coil was not earthed contact to the crankcase!
Believe it or not, with some tweaking, refitting and adjusting- this coil still runs the saw quite happily!

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Easy fix, good deal

Well, to be honest- with the coil, nothing really NEEDS fixed, it runs the saw well enough still, but when bolted down tight it does not sit square with the flywheel face. Minor issues and would be easily fixed with a new 372 coil- those are about twice the price here they are in the States, no doubt, but there are other issues to sort out with the saw first- some will be addressed and some will be lived with- like the smashed off upper cylinder fins. :cautious: