Good Morning, Afternoon, & Evening

• Thread starter BayouCountryPowerSaws
  • Start date

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
I used to run about three thousand head of sheep on a farm in MO. Lambing was a 45 day continuous nightmare that was 24/7. I had to sleep in the barns with the sheep most nights. On a 'good' night you could have 30 ewes lamb in one hr. Hard to imagine unless you've actually done it.

My mother-in-law used to come help with the kids....stay the whole time.....bless her heart. One yr she was pulling a wagon down to the main barn full of bottles for the bummer lambs. I decided to slime and skin graft after that and it ended that problem forever.;)

Even yrs later after I got out of sheep, I couldn't sleep during that period of the year and sleepwalked trying to get to the barns.....lol. I reckon it took all of a decade to sleep normally again. :LOL:

Kevin

Yeah, I am perhaps not that hands on, only time our cows see a barn- it is to be milked twice a day and they calve in the paddock (fields for you lot). There is the odd one, or a few R2 heifers that need a bit of a hand with rope assist calving- but generally they know what they are doing. 500 odd head are AI and the R2 replacements are to the Bull mated- so depending on heat cycles, some weeks are more hectic than others.
I hear what you are saying though about it being a busy time of the year- you never sleep well because you have a million and one things on your mind and never sleep easy because your brain does not rest- you spend the day dog tired and the night restless- all because you genuinely care about your stock. ;)

Bbqmann

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Trut
Yeah, I am perhaps not that hands on, only time our cows see a barn- it is to be milked twice a day and they calve in the paddock (fields for you lot). There is the odd one, or a few R2 heifers that need a bit of a hand with rope assist calving- but generally they know what they are doing. 500 odd head are AI and the R2 replacements are to the Bull mated- so depending on heat cycles, some weeks are more hectic than others.
I hear what you are saying though about it being a busy time of the year- you never sleep well because you have a million and one things on your mind and never sleep easy because your brain does not rest- you spend the day dog tired and the night restless- all because you genuinely care about your stock. ;)
Truth be told ..
I missed weddings funerals ..partys ..
The whole enchilada ..but folks needed what i had in that reefer or hot box

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
Am workin on now n then

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_145923.jpg
    IMG_20210920_145923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Bbqmann

Local time
Reaction score
Yup polled Hereford. Very curious breed. Was out burning brush and one by one they joined me at the fire. Hung out till it was out
I rememember Watching the movie with jimmy stewart . About the hereford
Named vindicator brought over from England the old country....