Chain Stretch

Fauvel

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
I inherited my father's McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 9 years ago.
Web search says it should bee a 60 links chain, I count 59 (counted 4 times)
Is it possible my Father removed a link because of chain stretch?

I remember him saying he had trouble adjusting the bar because the chain seemed too long.
Maybe he had a stretched chain or bought a new chain that was too long. My memories are
vague.
Not sure here. I want to buy a new chain, 59 and 60 links are available.

Sylvain

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Will be what it is to suit the sprocket drive and the bar type/design- but if it is a well worn old chain- yes it could have had a link removed.
How much travel has the adjuster left?
If it is near fully out on a well worn 59, then I would stick with 59 DL's- but if it is near the other end of the spectrum- get a 60.

No markings left at all on the bar indicating a DL count for that bar?

Fauvel

Local time
Reaction score
No, no marking about the DL count. I will check the travel left. Good advice. The saw is at the cottage (un accessible
in winter) so I will wait to buy the chain. I am no hurry. I use it only occasionally. It has to be available though, lots of fallen
trees with those storms which seems lot worse in recent years. I will also measure the
chain stretch (measured on 15 or 20 links) and see if it is a lot. Thanks.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
No, no marking about the DL count. I will check the travel left. Good advice. The saw is at the cottage (un accessible
in winter) so I will wait to buy the chain. I am no hurry. I use it only occasionally. It has to be available though, lots of fallen
trees with those storms which seems lot worse in recent years. I will also measure the
chain stretch (measured on 15 or 20 links) and see if it is a lot. Thanks.

By the vintage of the saw- have not seen many new 10-10's for sale for a few decades! I would be seriously thinking about a new bar, new drive spur or sprocket to go with the new chain. Does not take much for a well worn spur drive to hammer drive links and cause chain jump.

Fauvel

Local time
Reaction score
The saw was bought by my father in the 70's, maybe early 80's and has not seen much use. I will take pictures and post here in may to see what experienced peoples think of the wear. And will seek picture of damaged or worn spur and bar in this forum. And, maybe the saw sa intensive use before my father bought it, the casing show its age.