Can I run a 25" bar on my Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss?

Doc995

Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
Went to my local ACE to talk to the Stihl expert there...guy has been with Stihl since the early '90's so he does indeed know his stuff. Anyway I asked if I can use a 25" bar on my MS 271 and he says he wouldn't recommend it and tells me I'll need to upgrade to an MS ?? (forgot which model). Is this just the salesman trying to make a sale or is there some good reason why this cannot be achieved? Safety is my 1st concern, but seriously...what could the reason be? By the way, the saw is LONG out of warranty so that's not a factor...

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
11:13 AM
Reaction score
Because it does not have the "guts" to run that big of a chain and will hardly supply enough oil to keep it lubed.
25" bars are in the serious saw league- not the consumer saw level- better suited to an MS362 minimum.
Sounds like your salesperson is sensible- not just trying to push sales- a dubious dealer would happily sell you a 25"set up for that wee saw and then rub his hands like an Arab trader when you came back in with a still fairly new looking bar and a fried consumer saw, then sell you a powerhead to suit your new bar.