272xp surging?!? 272xp problem

WEBForestry

Local time
9:32 AM
Reaction score
Hi yall,

I recently picked up a cheap 272xp that definitely needed some TLC. I'm relatively new at this whole saw building thing and it's one of my first times working with a husqvarna! I ended up replacing the carb and just doing some cosmetic work. Iv been struggling with getting the saw dialed and fully tuned. I'm not sure if this means I have a bad o ring or something but the saw seems to surge at high RPMs (fluctuate in rpms at full throttle). I also found that the throttle response is slow initially but improves when at higher rpms (maybe just a jet adjustment). My air filter also seems relativity dirty but doesn't look like enough to affect it and the studs for attaching the carb to the top end seem plenty tight.
Anyone have any recommendations on fixes?

P.S (I'm a college student working off my truck tailgate so just keep that in mind when it comes to in depth repairs and repair price lol)

Thanks,
-Wyatt

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
If you are going to pick up an older Husqvarna, the 2 series is a good place to start and the 272 a very good member of that family.
Replaced the carb- college student- funds low- aftermarket Chinese carb?
That could be your whole problem right there. I find it better to clean and kit the original carbs way before replacing with often inferior dubious quality.
However, it is highly likely given the age of the saw and it needing TLC- you probably have an air leak somewhere in the system causing the erratic running. Only way to be sure is a good visual inspection of cleaned and removed rubber componentry, fuel lines, intake system and a pressure/vacuum test of the power head to rule out leaking main oil seals on the crank.
Seeing as how you are a poor student- you can strip most of the saw down and take it to a repair shop to have it tested for a nominal fee- cheaper than buying a testing tool and associated blanking plates etc.
Could also be a simple as crap in the tank, faulty fuel filter and the new carb is now full of fine particles. Best to replace fuel lines and filters with OEM ones with any saw build of this vintage- they are fairly cheap and easily replaced- if new they are one thing to discount when trying to trace problems and eliminate possible causes.