90's craftsman 20" 54cc3.3ci cylinder

woundedbear

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
There are no bolts on the bottom of the saw. Looks like removal of cylinder is thru four screws on the base of the cylinder. Impossible to get to. body on this thing is all one piece nothing comes off. The screws are inset under the fins on the cylinder. I ground down three allen wrenches and managed to get three almost out. Special tool? The fourth is on the clutch side closest to the handle and I don't have enough room to get make the wrench work. How in the world do I get these screws out and the cylinder off? In case your interested I'm trying to change the rings out. The cylinder and piston are not good but I can't find replacements for the piston. I would like to clean them up as best as I can and at least replace the ring. Also I keep hearing that you can swap the top end out for something else that might be an option but have not been able to find a thing about it. I'm at a dead stop. Help!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Photographs are always a good idea, as are complete model numbers for the saw in question.
I assume you are talking about a 3000 model, grey and black Craftsman- or similar?
Not common here but I believe 2700 to 3300 are all pretty much the same- although some were chrome bore bare piston and others were chromed piston bare bore.

However, if indeed a 3000- the cylinder is fixed by four hex bolts from the top of the cylinder flange to the crankcase- and are accessed from the TOP of the cylinder.
Look on the top fin of the cylinder- there should be 4 holes- one in each corner that track down through each fin and align with the top of each cylinder bolt.
Now it may well be if you are using standard sized bent hex tools that they are not long enough to reach the head of the bolt from the top of the cylinder, down through these access holes and you need a T handle tool with a shaft of around 6 inches in length to reach them- or a long straight hex tool meant for a power tool.

Last edited:

woundedbear

Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Turns out I'm an idiot. The holes were filled with crap and I had no idea they went all the way through so I just ignored them completely. It is black and gray, blue sticker says craftsman's best model 358351202 54cc 3.3ci. No where that I found on dozens of sites is it called anything else except by that number. Always thought that was strange. The manual was printed in 97 and I was using it in Alaska about that time and cutting a lot of wood so I would think it's around that old. I've not worked much on small engines which is probably obvious at this point. I can find every thing but the piston on-line. Would you know if any other model piston and cylinders are interchangeable? The Wife says just buy a knew saw but to me it just seems like the old ones were more dependable. No luck on e-bay so far. If I'm out of options I'll likely just change the ring and run it as long as I can.
thanks

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:36 AM
Reaction score
Uncommon saw here, all I can tell you is it will be the same as some of the Poulan saws like the Poulan Pro 335 and 3300 models- but you need to be sure what you are dealing with- chrome bore or chrome plated piston.
If you have the original printed manual for it- that should have a parts list, the piston or piston kit in that manual will have a part number- search that number and see what you come up with.
Also this era of saws there was a tendency to often run what we term as twin thin ring pistons- it is near impossible to find those rings nowadays- so once again you need to know what exactly you are dealing with and looking for.

Miffler off and a photo of the piston and piston ring/rings through the exhaust port will speak volumes.

Why are we at this stage anyhow? You can see the piston is trashed? Cannot start the saw and suspect low compression?