Oil hose line Echo 351

monkeymaster

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Good morning
Looking for any secrete tips, that will tell me how to put a chunk of new oil line onto my Echo 351vl, WITHOUT splitting the case.
Old oil hose line fell apart when I tried to inspect and clean the filter/screen because of reduced oil at chain and oiler.
Then if i HAVE to split the case, will Permatex Motoseal work to seal the half together ?
Thanks in advance

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
Real Chargers, have 2 doors !

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Welcome.
I will put my hand up and say Echo's are NOT my forte and I can count on one hand the number of them I have worked on, so take the following with a grain of salt!

There is a brass or plastic fitting in the wall of the oil tank?
Section of flexi hose above goes to the oil pump, one below inside the tank with the pickup?
Bottom hose is rotted and needs replaced?
If you can access the fitting from the outside (pump line side) remove the hose and feed heavy fishing line that will fit inside the nipple the hose came off, through the fitting and into the tank, fish it out with bent long nose pliers or similar- insert the end of the fishing line (or line trimmer line) into the new flexi oil hose line. clamp below the section that fits over the internal tank nipple with long forceps, pull the fishing line back through and the oil line should slide over the nipple, or at least just to the nipple and a combination of pulling the line through and pushing the forceps should slide it on.
If it is cold in the garage you are trying this trick in, it might help to warm the end of the hose in hot water first.
Good luck!
From what little I know, I think it is near impossible to even see the nipple you need to reach from the outside as viewed through the oil filler.

If that fails, splitting cases will be the easiest route, gasket can be cut from gasket paper- or cereal box side sprayed with loctite gasket sealer.
I am not sure if there is enough crank lobe clearance to run without a crank case gasket- never done one to know, but yes Permatex, Yamabond, Hondabond, Dirko etc is never a bad idea.

• Love
Reactions: Tyy

monkeymaster

Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Update
Took some tie wire, stuck it into the oil hose pick up nipple inside of case.
Took some fuel line, used heat gun, warmed up the end, stuck over needle nose pliers, used to put some "flare" on the end, by opening the pliers, the white rtv tube end did not work as well.
Slipped formed end, while still somewhat warm, over the tie wire, and pushed onto the nipple in the case.
It took 3x,s to get the temperature of the hose end right.
First attempt was too warm and the end got mashed to u know what. That piece had to be tossed and new piece cut.
Third time was the charm.
After pushing the hose on, and you feel it set as it should, leave the hose set while the hose cools and contracts onto the nipple, then give it a slight pull to verify it is set.
Used a $20 endoscope from e bay to take the picture of the hose on the nipple in the case.
Saw runs with copious amounts of oil.
Good luck !

Attachments

• IMG_5770.jpg
    IMG_5770.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5670(1).jpg
    IMG_5670(1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Update
Took some tie wire, stuck it into the oil hose pick up nipple inside of case.
Took some fuel line, used heat gun, warmed up the end, stuck over needle nose pliers, used to put some "flare" on the end, by opening the pliers, the white rtv tube end did not work as well.
Slipped formed end, while still somewhat warm, over the tie wire, and pushed onto the nipple in the case.
It took 3x,s to get the temperature of the hose end right.
First attempt was too warm and the end got mashed to u know what. That piece had to be tossed and new piece cut.
Third time was the charm.
After pushing the hose on, and you feel it set as it should, leave the hose set while the hose cools and contracts onto the nipple, then give it a slight pull to verify it is set.
Used a $20 endoscope from e bay to take the picture of the hose on the nipple in the case.
Saw runs with copious amounts of oil.
Good luck !

Nice result! Chalk that one up as a win! :)

Reactions: Tyy