IS THIS CHAINSAW REPAIRABLE?

Taking

Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
The video is a tear-down of Stihl 036Pro...was run with straight gas.
Video is to help viewer actually see the damage and then help me with
a answer as the whether the engine is salvageable.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Anything is repairable- all depends how much money you want to throw at it.
That is if you do not break part of the case trying to jemmy bar the flywheel off the crank. or screw up the clutch threads with slip jaw pliers.
Piston looks a bit more like a metallic piston stop was used through the exhaust port.
But new piston and ring, cylinder can probably be saved- you did not show the inside clear enough to tell, put it all back together after flushing out the crankcase and it should run again if you use mixed fuel.

Taking

Local time
Reaction score
Laughing as I read your comment, if you use mixed fuel.
But seriously I will try to remove the piston.
Not sure if I can remove it from top of the arm or if I have to get into the crank case.
If that is the case might be a lot of cursing in the next video I post here.
That chainsaw has been everywhere with me from water-tunnel projects and subway-tunnel projects in New York City to my backyard.
Hate to see it junked.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
But seriously I will try to remove the piston.
Not sure if I can remove it from top of the arm or if I have to get into the crank case.
If that is the case might be a lot of cursing in the next video I post here.

Perhaps, rather than making videos, you might spend your time better viewing IPL's for the 036 and learning how the saw is put together and comes apart.
The piston comes off the top of the connecting rod, or conrod (what you called an arm) via removing the captive ring in the holes at the side of the piston, pushing out the wrist pin and lifting the piston up.
With the remains of a piston that you now have- you could smash the piston off the conrod with a hammer I guess, as it is of no further use as a mechanical item.
But before you break anything else on the saw, I would suggest a little research into how things come apart. ;)

Taking

Local time
Reaction score
I downloaded a Parts Diagram the day after the chainsaw broke. That was a no-brainer. The video's are #1 to show the problem and more importantly #2 to attract answers from guys like yourself who know what they are talking about. I will definitely use your advice when removing the piston. When I was filming the video in my basement it was not well lit so I did not see the captive rings.So I was confused as to how the hell am I going to remove the wrist pin. One day this week I'll take it outside, break it down again and take a peek .

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
If the cylinder is salvageable(you’d have to provide a better pic , most can be sanded down and polished, as long as there are no deep gouges she should be ok) then you can fit a new oem piston kit and you should be gtg! A meteor piston is also a suitable replacement but I do prefer oem myself. Whatever you do , steer clear of the Chinesium garbage ... buy once , cry once. Irwin makes a 6” t27 that will Fit a battery-powered gun. Crack em free by hand then ya can zip em out ! I always loosen by hand and do the final tightening by hand, the gun/t27 just makes it a lot quicker. If you can get some better pics of the cylinder we can go from there. They ARE nice saws , my pal “dirty” Tony just picked up a CHERRY one off eBay! Nice saw with a 20” bar ... hope this helps ya guy, we’ve all been there - sometimes ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette 😀 ... one more thing , make sure to flush out the crankcase!!! - don’t wanna do all that work only to have debris from down under do a number on your new parts !

Taking

Local time
Reaction score
If the cylinder is salvageable(you’d have to provide a better pic , most can be sanded down and polished, as long as there are no deep gouges she should be ok) then you can fit a new oem piston kit and you should be gtg! A meteor piston is also a suitable replacement but I do prefer oem myself. Whatever you do , steer clear of the Chinesium garbage ... buy once , cry once. Irwin makes a 6” t27 that will Fit a battery-powered gun. Crack em free by hand then ya can zip em out ! I always loosen by hand and do the final tightening by hand, the gun/t27 just makes it a lot quicker. If you can get some better pics of the cylinder we can go from there. They ARE nice saws , my pal “dirty” Tony just picked up a CHERRY one off eBay! Nice saw with a 20” bar ... hope this helps ya guy, we’ve all been there - sometimes ya gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette 😀 ... one more thing , make sure to flush out the crankcase!!! - don’t wanna do all that work only to have debris from down under do a number on your new parts !
Not that is NICE !!! Quick question Stihl 036 and Stihl 036pro same type piston?