Hypothetical Question?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:34 AM
Reaction score
Lets say I have the chance to pick up a Jonsered 670 Champ- or rather what once was a 670 Champ and is now a lamb in wolves clothing?
Lets say the owner has removed and discarded the cylinder, piston and intake tract from the donor 670 and replaced it with the internals of a Husqvarna 61.
Somewhat of a step backwards.

Saw (as is) is complete and runs with no issues, 18" Oregon bar and chain- and the asking price has nearly halved to the point of becoming appealing.

No, I don't live in the States, Jonsereds are not that common here, finding the original parts to turn it back to a Champ, while not impossible- will take a long time and most likely be uneconomic.
So, it is wearing Husqvarna innards- what do I swap the 61 cylinder for?
I am thinking if I can find a good one- 268, but have 272 and 266 on hand if needed.
Remember this saw has been changed from external pulse to internal through the intake block pulse and if the top end and intake system were changed, my guess is it is also wearing the smaller 61 carb- that will also need changing to a larger venturi..... so maybe it might be easier to go back to an external pulse?
External pulse is not impossible to obtain in a 2## series Husqvarna cylinder.

So, what would you do?
Which cylinder might you lean towards to help get the saw back to somewhere near what it was when it left Sweden?
Would you leave it as is and be happy?
Would you walk away from the deal and leave the Frankenstein saw to someone else?

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
With the 268 cylinder you wouldn't be able to use the jonsered high idle carb setup, because of the different intake boot setup?
Is there a way to tell which 266 cylinders have external pulse, or is it a matter of checking each one you come across?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
With the 268 cylinder you wouldn't be able to use the jonsered high idle carb setup, because of the different intake boot setup?
Is there a way to tell which 266 cylinders have external pulse, or is it a matter of checking each one you come across?

Exactly, no carb mounted high idle on the system that has been retro fitted and no trigger catch on the Jonsered tank that remains.
It hasnt been the greatest of fixes by the current owner, but it was a fix that got the saw running again and you know what it is like trying to find parts here.
It is easy enough to drill a new impulse nipple into any of the Husqvarna options- but he does not still have the original carb, or the original cylinder. He does however have another 670 Champ he uses and wants to keep- it has had a Chinese big bore fitted and he seems to like it, although admits it does not seem any more powerful than the one with the genuine 61 top end fitted.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Apparently so- I have not seen it in person, but have been told cylinder intake and carb all swapped over from the poor cousin 61.
Owner thinks he binned the original Jonsered parts, but cannot remember.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Be nice if it was actually the open port 625 cylinder that was on it. Uses the same rubber intake block and carb setup as the 670.

Would be nice if the original 670 cylinder, intake, external pulse and larger carb were all there- but it is what it now is.
Over here things are on a much smaller and way more expensive scale when it comes to saw parts. New ones were and still are prohibitively dear and Jonsered was never as popular here as the other two main players.
It was a great saw in its day- now it is a sheep in a young wolves clothing- well it was a young wolf in its day- perhaps more of an old retiring wolf now.

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
Lets say I have the chance to pick up a Jonsered 670 Champ- or rather what once was a 670 Champ and is now a lamb in wolves clothing?
Lets say the owner has removed and discarded the cylinder, piston and intake tract from the donor 670 and replaced it with the internals of a Husqvarna 61.
Somewhat of a step backwards.

Saw (as is) is complete and runs with no issues, 18" Oregon bar and chain- and the asking price has nearly halved to the point of becoming appealing.

No, I don't live in the States, Jonsereds are not that common here, finding the original parts to turn it back to a Champ, while not impossible- will take a long time and most likely be uneconomic.
So, it is wearing Husqvarna innards- what do I swap the 61 cylinder for?
I am thinking if I can find a good one- 268, but have 272 and 266 on hand if needed.
Remember this saw has been changed from external pulse to internal through the intake block pulse and if the top end and intake system were changed, my guess is it is also wearing the smaller 61 carb- that will also need changing to a larger venturi..... so maybe it might be easier to go back to an external pulse?
External pulse is not impossible to obtain in a 2## series Husqvarna cylinder.

So, what would you do?
Which cylinder might you lean towards to help get the saw back to somewhere near what it was when it left Sweden?
Would you leave it as is and be happy?
Would you walk away from the deal and leave the Frankenstein saw to someone else?
266 cylinder would be the way to go wouldn't it? Other than your high idle problem, and a drill hole for your pulse she'd be back to a champ

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
266 cylinder would be the way to go wouldn't it? Other than your high idle problem, and a drill hole for your pulse she'd be back to a champ
Just built or rather repaired a real nice orange 266........
In my understanding, the Champ might be closer to the Orange 268? I can drill a hole for a pulse- pull the nipple out of one of the many busted Stihl cases laying about the place- but that still leaves me with the smaller 61 carb which does not have external pulse anyhow. :)

Chainmale

Local time
Reaction score
I've got 2 decent 266's and a tidy 630.
I'm considering letting the 630 borrow one of it's cousin's piston and cylinder for a while