Husqvarna 1100 CD

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
Recently had to opportunity to buy an old 1100 CD via a Facebook group here in NZ, for what was one of those possibly attractive prices- or an expensive doorstop kind of deal.
Was advertised as having spark, good compression- but would not run. So was a gamble as 1100 ignitions are not an easy find- but the top ends are the same as a 2100 CD that I already have one of- so I pounced on it, even with very little in the way of photographic detail of the saws condition- the asking price of around USD $140 was a gamble I was willing to take.

This is what arrived.

image2.jpeg

Pretty rough, badly stored, a few busted or missing items- but basically all there.

image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image1.jpeg

One of the busted items was the piston- if you pull up the picture and squint into the exhaust port, you might be able to spot a large missing section of the mid land between the rings- and that it is a 1.5mm ringed piston- not the thin ring 0.7mm one.

image0.jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Because of the fact I had rebuilt my 2100 a while back- I had some handy spares- as apart from the rear tank handle and the 2100 having both automatic and manual assist oiler- pretty much everything else swaps over in these 100cc Husqvarnas- some parts from 480 CD up to 288XP will also work in certain positions.
I had spare pistons, including a brand new in box 2101 piston and rings, new 56mm rings, better clutch covers, oil tank caps- but I certainly was not the first to be inside this particular saw.
It already has had the swap over of the ignition to the later SEMA 2100 ignition, flywheel and recoil starter. Despite the missing chunk of piston- the cylinder bore was in good shape!
My guess was- the piston that was still in the saw was missing the top ring locator pin, the ring rotated and the open end caught in the exhaust port, took out the 1100 cylinder, a 2100 wreck donated the parts to rebuild but was missing or had a non serviceable piston so the old one was reused!? Or the saw was built up out of a box of parts from various saws and sat in a barn for a decade or two until found and sold- I can only guess.

SEMA ignition that should not be found on an original 1100.

image1.jpeg

Cleaning up well- even see remains of original decals.

image0.jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
So "new" old 2100 piston was fitted, with new rings, lots of small stuff done- like replaced the missing kill switch with a Homelite one, new oil cap, helicoil one flogged out top cover hole, tidier looking clutch cover- 42"GB bar and 123 DL .404 chain........ LOTS of cleaning later.
A nice old historic thumper.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
That's an interesting leather mitten you got attached to the handle. I guess any extra AV on those old beasts is beneficial.

Over here in NZ those are pretty much standard issue items on any pro work fallers saws- to you guys they are a foreign element.
They do help with vibration dampening though and indeed are an improvement here!
The 42"bar calmed her down a bit, without it, the saw is a jumpy beast at idle and a finger numbing tool at WOT.

Norm

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Over here in NZ those are pretty much standard issue items on any pro work fallers saws- to you guys they are a foreign element.
They do help with vibration dampening though and indeed are an improvement here!
The 42"bar calmed her down a bit, without it, the saw is a jumpy beast at idle and a finger numbing tool at WOT.
.404 as u mentioned u had, and that bar will be good on that saw.