How can I clean out every bit of gas & oils from 2-cycle engine??

James1985

Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
Hello. I mixed the engine oils and gas with wrong ratio for my new Craftsman chainsaw with 2-cycle engine. After several seconds I started the engine, white smoke came up. I immediately turned off the engine. I thought that I had flooded the engine. So, I removed the spark plug and cleaned. Then I started the chain saw again. - The same thing happened. I finally noticed that I mixed the oil with wrong ratio.

Actually, I was even not understanding the significance of the gas/oil ratio. So, I mixed 1:50 engine oil without measuring the gas properly.

I drained all of gas/oil mixes from the tank. However, I think the gas/oil are still remaining in the engine since I had primed enough? Could I possibly remove all of the remaining gas/oil without running the saw? Could someone please advise? Thank you!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
6:52 PM
Reaction score
Properly mixed fuel, swill out the tank and dump.
Take the spark plug out, pull the starter rope to lower the piston, pour properly mixed fuel down the plg hole, swill it about, pull the starter over slowly, turn the saw upside down and drain out.
Anything left will not be enough to cause concern unless you have filled the carb with engine oil.

Engine oil is NOT the oil you should be using, 2 stroke oil is the only oil you should be mixing with gas. I don't care if it is cheap garden centre oil or the best you can find- it just has to be 2 stroke oil.

James1985

Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
Hi Bob. Thank you for your advise, and sorry for the slow response.

That is a great idea. I will try it out today and see how it goes.

I didn't use engine oil, but used 2-stroke oil. It's just a matter of mix ratio. I assume the carb is filled with the gas+oil wrong mix since I primed enough before started the engine. I hope it still work out. I assume the white smoke still comes up for a minute or so even after swilling out the wrong mix of gas and oil. I will see how it goes... Thanks again!