Echo cs-302

spurlocked

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
Thx for having me. Ok i have my grand fathers saw that is scored up pretty bad on the the piston and cylinder wall. Just curious since it needs tore apart and repaired, if i could possible swap out for a bigger piston and machine the cylinder, bigger carb, port and polish, muffler mod to this little echo cs-302 just for fun? I really dig the little saw. Just thought i could make it a fun project.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
10:15 AM
Reaction score
Okay, simple answer- no.
Chainsaw cylinders are all lined with a plating (as a rule)- in this case chromed. As such they cannot be "bored out" without removal of said plating and therefore the need to replate to provide a serviceable cylinder bore.
I do not know enough about old cinder block Echos, but you may well be able to upgrade to the next bore size up and retain the bottom end of the wee 302.
Your first mission is to ascertain if the rest of the unit is workable- not all flogged out in the bottom end- are things like main crank bearings and oil seals still available?
Why did the top end burn out in the first place? Have to answer that and repair the cause before modifying some souped up top end for it only to have it fry up within the first couple of tanks.
If it were me, I would be looking for cheap yard sale, marketplace 302's to become parts donors and fix Grandad's old saw up the way it used to was and shelf it to run occasionally in his memory and respect.

spurlocked

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
Fair enough and I understand your viewpoint. I have 5 Echos that were his 302, 2x400evl, 440evl, 650evl. All in great shape but the 302. It looks like it was ran lean. Scoring it terrible but enough that its not like the other saws. I just figured since I have to literally split the saw in two, might as well look into having some fun. I can always put it back to oem if all else fails.