Dolmar model 111

willem

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
New member here, hoping to learn enough to become more self sufficient regarding my chainsaw up keep. My main saw is an Echo CS 550 EVL, saved from the trash about 8 years ago, and resurrected with a bit of TLC. It has been an amazing performer for my skill set, albeit a bit on the heavy side. So I recently had the extreme good fortune (at least I think) to have found an older Dolmar model 111, in amazing condition, but with a partially disassembled carburetor. I have opted to purchase a brand new carburetor, as opposed to a rebuild on what came with the saw. My question is regarding my intention of putting a new fuel filter into the tank. The fuel line is original and in mint condition, showing no signs of age or stress points. The filter, for that matter, looks mint as well, but thinking I should change it out in case it is gummed up from sitting. Any other saws I have worked on allow the filter to extend well beyond the lip of the fuel tank to give easy access to removal and reinstall of new filter. On my Dolmar, the length of the fuel line does not allow for this convenience, the filters tip just making the tank opening and the connection point for filter to line still inside the tank. What am I missing here? Should I lube the carb side of the line and try to pull it back to expose the filter, then pull from carb side of tank to reset it, once new filter is installed. It looks to me that the line has a grommet incorporated into its construction to act a a plug for the opening in the tank leading to the carb. Any help on this would be appreciated. I know it seems like a no brainer, but I would like to avoid ruining the fuel line if at all possible. I should stay with the same heavy cloth type filter, as well, correct? Line appears to be 3/16" ID.
Thank you!

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Dolmars are not my cup of tea- not too familiar with them at all.
But looking at an IPL for the 111 shows the fuel filter in front of the fuel tank cap and arrowed towards the filler spout- this to me suggest this is the point of access- through the filler point.
Now, if you look at the diameter of the filter compared to the diameter of the grommet on the fuel line- is there a snowballs chance in hell the filter is going to fit through the grommet hole? Given the grommet is flanged top and bottom and the hole in the plastic is not a whole lot larger than the fuel line?

Now it could be, a past owner has had problems with splitting fuel line and has shortened up the tank line in order to get past a split or perished end and this is why you cannot pull the filter clear of the tank filler neck.
Or them pesky Germans just do things like this for fun?

If you have a set of long nosed right angle forceps, you can grab the fuel line behind the filter so it does not recoil back, hold it as far out as you dare before it tears, pull the filter off and push in a new one, then release the forceps.

Or you can just leave well alone and say the old filter is still good. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, fill the tank with mixed fuel, replace the filler cap and place the open end of the fuel line in your mouth and suck on the line- if you get a mouthful of foul tasting liquid- the filter is clear!

willem

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi Bob,
Thanks for chiming in on my question. Inspection of the fuel line, which I assume is factory original, shows not just a formed grommet in the line where it leaves the tank to connect to the carb, but on the filter end, the line has a factory manufactured grommet to receive the filter. This leads me to believe that there is a process or procedure I am unaware of in order to remove and replace the existing filter. I will remove the carburetor box plastic shielding that sits atop the junction between the tank and carb box. Perhaps there will be some type of clue as to how to replace the filter and at some point the fuel line, if ever needed. Would make no sense to be unable to replace a fuel line, which is part of the reason I wish to get to the bottom of how it is accomplished on this saw.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
Okay, the IPL shows a formed end to accept the filter- if yours still has that, we can assume the line is still original length.
If you believe you must replace the filter- I would do the following.
Tie a stout fishing line or piece of string onto the fuel line at the end you have disconnected from the carb- or clamp that end with forceps- so if it falls into the tank it can be rerouted easily. Then manipulate the grommet into the tank, so the air box section of line can enter the fuel tank and thus give more length for the filter to exit via the filler cap, replace filter and pull the fuel line back through so the grommet is properly seated.
If nothing tears or snaps- should be job done.