Box display is confusing

john-o

Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
On the box that I buy my chains in, it shows a pictures of a file for sharping, to be 3/16. Then another picture of the pitch to be .325

I want to purchase a STIHL sharpener with both the rattail file and the flat file for the scraper, and the description of the file says it's

Stihl Replacement File for Sharpening .325 Chainsaw Chains.​

My question is, is the file that I'm looking for, is it a 3/16 or the .325 ?

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Yes, for .325 chain you require a 3/16 file.
3/16 or 4.8mm refers to the diameter of the file- not the pitch of the chain, which is .325 for which there is no real fractional cross over- like .375 and 3/8- defined by measuring the distance between any three consecutive rivets on the chain and then dividing by two.
The 3/16 file is the correct diameter to form the cutter depth and profile of the tooth and be round enough to cut the correct profile from top plate to deep down the gullet without cutting into the side plates.

john-o

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for all the quick replies. I got my STIHL Farm Boss 290 a few years ago, after we had a nasty ice storm. The storm knocked out a lot of power lines and assorted services. So I bought a Englander wood furnace, this Farm Boss 290, and went to work making sure we were never out of heat again. I will admit, I never really handled a chainsaw before. So I asked one of the powerline workers what chainsaw he was using. He told me a Farm Boss 290. He said it was the only saw he used. Ok, a Farm Boss 290 it is. After a few logs on my own, it was apparent that this Farm Boss 290 was way over my experience level. Frankly, it scared the hell out me the first year that I used the thing. But with respect for the power and weight, I learned. I'm still learning. The chains for this thing, and the proper maintenance that goes along with it, is a learning curve for me.
This web site is a fantastic source of information and know-how. I read every post. I will, however, downsize my chainsaw in the near future. My age and tolerance for handling this 290, requires me to take my workload down a peg.
Again, thank you for all the expert advice.

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for all the quick replies. I got my STIHL Farm Boss 290 a few years ago, after we had a nasty ice storm. The storm knocked out a lot of power lines and assorted services. So I bought a Englander wood furnace, this Farm Boss 290, and went to work making sure we were never out of heat again. I will admit, I never really handled a chainsaw before. So I asked one of the powerline workers what chainsaw he was using. He told me a Farm Boss 290. He said it was the only saw he used. Ok, a Farm Boss 290 it is. After a few logs on my own, it was apparent that this Farm Boss 290 was way over my experience level. Frankly, it scared the hell out me the first year that I used the thing. But with respect for the power and weight, I learned. I'm still learning. The chains for this thing, and the proper maintenance that goes along with it, is a learning curve for me.
This web site is a fantastic source of information and know-how. I read every post. I will, however, downsize my chainsaw in the near future. My age and tolerance for handling this 290, requires me to take my workload down a peg.

I will admit, I am not the Worlds greatest fan of the 2 in 1 filing system tools- but over the last 40 odd years I have turned a LOT of new chain cutters and rakers into steel filings using nothing more than a hand held round file and a hand held flat file.
Easiest way to purchase the correct system is to take the box your chain came in to the saw shop and ask for the tool to fit this chain, then hand them the box.
In my experience, the 2 in 1 will work well enough for you, but I feel they do not cut a great profile in the cutter gullet- they do perhaps not leave you with the most efficient cutter, but good enough for most and perhaps truer for an inexperienced filer trying to do it freehand.

You are probably lucky the powerline worker was not using a 395XP! :D

Bob Hedgecutter

Staff member
Local time
Reaction score
For others not OP since right on the box. Pay attention to what 325 chain you have. Most modern 325 use 3/16.

I have some 325 that use the 5/32 file. File used on picco 3/8LP

True that- but if you are any good and only have a sharp 5/32 at hand, you can file sharpen most any chain from 1/4 to .404 with it.

john-o

Local time
Reaction score
You are probably lucky the powerline worker was not using a 395XP!
Your right, Bob. I should've noticed the guy cutting trees and telephone poles, came in rug sizes... 9X11.
On the other hand, so far so good with my Farm Boss 290. She's a bear alright, and I give this thing a wide
berth of respect.

RedneckChainsawRepair

I went to my local STIHL dealer, and was about to purchase a two-n-one file package, asking for a .325 tool. Upon closer inspection of the package, the rattail file was a 5.32. If I hadn't read Redneck's post, I would've bought the thing. I mentioned, I need a 3/16 round file, and the clerk hung the one he had in his hand back up, and said he'll have to check in the back. As he left, he passed another clerk and said under his breath... "This guy knows his stuff." I felt like saying.... "That's right partner," but the Mrs. was with me and gave me that look.... "Don't even think about". (party pooper)☹️

Justsendit

Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Here’s a great trick for the 2-in-1 filing system… take the flat file out and only use it every 3-4 sharpens. I actually prefer to use the 2-in-1 system to teach people new to sharpening how to sharpen by hand. I feel it trains the hand and eye coordination by properly teaching the correct angles of attack. However, I teach all my new sharpeners fo use a flat file separately with a raker depth plate to always get the correct depth. I’m a big fan of the 2-in-1 fr this reason and recommend it to many people. If you need any help with using the files please ask for help. There is a ton of chainsaw knowledge in this group and we would all be happy to lend a hand!

I usually recommend graduating to a grinder or a single file at some point to get the teeth and the gullet exactly the way they want it. There is nothing better than a hand filed round file tooth. Now if you want a Square grind then I prefer a grinder over hand filing all day. 😂