Bar and Chain for Farm Boss 290

john-o

Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
I have a Farm Boss 290, and the stock bar and chain works well, but I'd like to get a slightly longer bar and the chain that compliments that length and still works with the current stock drive gear/sprocket. Has anyone added to their Farm Boss 290 a longer bar plus chain?
On the other hand, if this is not recommended by those with a lost more experience than I, please say so. Although I'm not a professional with this kind of equipment, I do know that my Farm Boss 290 has served me well. Great tool, well balanced, and very easy to do routine service.

RedneckChainsawRepair

Local time
Reaction score
JMO 290 for little power they are stock you might want to stay with the 325 20" they come with. Talking hardwood cutting.

Stihl only suggest 16" to 20" on 290

30min muffler mod on those will gain you 18%-21% alone with carb tuning afterwords.

Want to run a longer bar on them IMO stick a 390 heart in it. Then you got more cc for the 290 porker weight.

I work on a lot of locals in those.

s290.jpg

Last edited:

Fabz

Local time
Reaction score
I had a pair of 290’s I bought brand new many years ago. With a righteous muffler mod , carb tuning and sharp chain they seemed to buzz along well with 3/8 .050 and 18” bars , or at least I thought they did until I ran a 460 😂. Ended up selling them for $250 apiece and upgrading to the new pro saws. If ya have a 290 that’s clapped-out a short-block is available to increase the displacement / power output for about $150 + time/labor to swap. If a guy was cutting a lot of wood it may be wise to sell of the farm/ranch model and upgrade to a 70cc class saw. When properly built they put a lot of wood on the ground in the 16-24” range and do so very,very quickly and will outcut a stock 90cc class saw without the weight or the fuel consumption. I’m after torque and mileage with my builds and a gent can run em for mere pennies with the right set-up!

Last edited: